Goin' Southerly

Friday, January 29, 2009

So the time has finally come guys and gals. Tomorrow... get this... we are actually leaving port. This will be the beginning of a new type of lifestyle, one very much like camping. One on the ocean. One with the blue.

The past few weeks, we've been really kickin' it in the ass (pardon my French). About a week ago, we made a list on a piece of paper of things that were a necessity for our departure. Now that list is a crumpled piece of paper covered in sweet, sweet horizontal lines. We'd been pushing to leave almost every day of this week, but only today have we realized we'll finally be able to do it tomorrow. I hooked up our house battery bank as Dan cut us out a new carpet for our cabin sole and both came out beautifully.

The final result of my hours of hunched-over work (many more amp-hours for us):



And Dan cutting out the carpet from his newspaper pattern:



Other current events: I met a completely fearless pelican. This guy was sitting on the dock one morning and completely disregarded the fact that people wanted to walk by him, in fact he was kind of indignant. I named him Jim. Jim is a real jerk.



So, the plan is to goto Catalina's Isthmus Cove tomorrow and have me hop in the water so I can plug the through-hulls to hook up our head (no way I'm getting in the water here in The Port). From there, we'll start skipping down south. Nothing is definite, but we'll probably end up anchoring out in San Diego bay and then going for a long passage due south, checking into Mexico at Cabo San Lucas. It'll be the start of our adventure. Wish us luck.

I'll leave you guys with a shot I snapped during our storms.

Comments

  1. It has been fun to check out your blog and looking forward to the passage reports.

    ...and I clicked an ad ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair winds and a following sea...
    I'm so excited for you. Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blog entitled Friday,January 2009, I'm sure meant to be 2010

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment